Sunday, June 5, 2011

Gerard Hermann - I read somewhere it is not a fable after all - No Basement Deep Enough
Gerard Herman - I read somewhere it is not a fable after all - No Basement Deep Enough
Very nice, and very strange--in it's own, quiet way--tape from my new favorite Belgian, Gerard Herman. After hearing the collab tape with Limpe Fuchs, it's nice to hear Herman on his own. A-side is tape-loop based and actually reminds me quite a bit of Pak until things move into audio-collage territory, incorporating some off-kilter guitar playing and snippets of singing. B-side is a total head scratcher. A man speaks in Dutch over some distant metallic noises. I'm sure what he's saying is funny or interesting but I can only speculate. The artwork features some great if gruesome pen and ink drawings by Herman himself (I would guess they have something to do with what the man is talking about) and it all comes in a cloth bag with bits of metal sewn to the outside making the profile of a speaking person (perhaps another thing I would understand if I spoke Dutch. Or perhaps pure insanity). $8
Gerard Hermann - I read somewhere it is not a fable after all - No Basement Deep Enough (Detail)

No comments: